- 122.3 million tablets are forecast to have been sold in 2012, up from previous estimates of 117.1 million units. (source)
- Worldwide shipments of ebook readers will fall by 36% to 14.9 million units this year, and to 7.1 million units by 2016. The rise of multipurpose tablets are to blame. (source)
- US sales of Windows devices were down 21% last month compared to last year and Windows-powered notebooks are down by 24%. This decline started since the rise of tablets and smartphones in the market. (source)
- Consumers are moving away from “single-use” devices (basic mobile phones, point & shoot cameras, music players, etc.) opting instead for those that offer the ability to do many things like smartphones and tablets. (source)
- This year mobile sales will account for 15% of all US retail e-commerce this year. Tablet purchases will account for 9.4% of all sales this year. Smartphones, which initially had a lead, will contribute 5.3%. (source)
- Test your own site on multiple devices: Android phones, Apple (iOS) phones, tablets - especially the new mini tablets and "Phablets" - phone/mini-tablets such as the Galaxy Note II - that's the fastest growing segment, per above stats.
- If you don't have a mobile site - contact your website provider ASAP and get one. nearly 75% of mobile visitors will leave your site within 5 seconds if it isn't mobile optimized - and they won't come back.
- Get in the habit of watching the mobile activity in your Google analytics. View your mobile activity by going to "Audience>Mobile>Overview>
Devices" in the left hand menu of your standard reporting.
- Make sure you have goal conversions set up - you can view this activity by clicking on the Goal Set link at the top of your dashboard.
- Make sure you have the key elements present in your mobile site: Click to call, click to email, click to access service dept, click for directions, 1 click to inventory - and the ability to view multiple pictures, videos and display the price - make it easy for users to get the info they want and extremely easy to find and contact you. (The ability to display ratings and reviews on your mobile site is a huge opportunity as well - not enough dealers are doing this)
- Make sure your local listings pages are optimized for local search: Mobile users take action within 60 minutes of searching on their phones. (Desktop search is 7 days) This is your opportunity to help customers accomplish the things they wants done - faster!
What else are you doing to help mobile customers connect with your dealership?