No matter what career you've chosen, and regardless of what business you are in, it’s important to be willing to do what you believe in. Everyone has a responsibility to step up and do his or her part to make the world (their world) a better place. It is your birthright to stand up, take action and seek positive progress.
The following questions have been asked countless times in business:
- Why do so many people turn their head?
- Why don’t people take responsibility and lead?
The fact is most companies don’t talk about leadership development, much less spend money on it. When companies do takes steps to help develop their teams leadership skills – many employees concede that the proposed help is just a big waste of time. The workforce makes this assessment simply because they have no buy-in.
They cannot see the value for leadership development for two reasons:
- They do not perceive themselves as a leaders
- They are not required by their employer to take action as a leader.
If the employees don’t see themselves as leaders, and everyone person on staff is not held accountable to lead – they will never drink the company Kool-Aid. AND isn’t that exactly what you want for your business? Employee’s so committed to your companies principles, values and mission that they choose to show up everyday fueled with motivation; guiding /directing themselves and other, sharing their thoughts and knowledge, and taking bold actions with the intent to make their life, and the lives of others better?
I encourage you to evaluate your companies most valued asset – your human capital. Explore your team’s willingness to lead. Look for the Extreme Leaders? Also consider making leadership development part of your financial growth plan.
EXTREME LEADERSHIP: A wholehearted commitment to making things better; often at the risk of failure and sacrifice.
To be an extreme leader doesn’t require a college degree, a fancy job title, a six-figure income, or a strong fist and loud voice. The only thing required is a willingness to take the Radical L.E.A.P.
- A willingness to cultivate LOVE
- Do what you love in the service of people who love what you do.
- A willingness to generate ENERGY
- Be a powerful force for action and progress and an enthusiastic believer in people’s capacity to do the awesome.
- A willingness to inspire AUDACITY
- Boldly disregard “normal” constraints in order to change the world for the better.
- A willingness to provide PROOF:
- Walk your talk, be courageous, and develop the Extreme Leaders in your midst.
Evaluate the culture of your company. Explore how your leadership team is inspiring your knowledge workers everyday. If you choose to cultivate a group of Extreme leaders to run your company, remember, no one wants to feel forced into taking an already proven path – if they did, they would be following someone else’s path, and not clearing their own.
To provide support as a mentor, advisor or coach is important, but what’s more important is that your team members take responsibility for their own actions – and lack of actions – their success will mean so much more when they can own each step of the way.
- What does extreme leadership mean to you in your environment?
As always I welcome your feedback and encourage your comments. Also, if you are interested in learning how to bring the Extreme Leadership framework into your dealership, I’m standing by and excited to talk with you.