What's it like owning/managing a dealership?

Tyler Reyes

So I've been working at a car dealership for about a year now and I can't help but wonder - what's it like actually running the show at your dealership? I've heard some people say that GMs work banker's hours and are out of touch with the rest of the staff. But our GM puts in more hours than anybody. It seems to me like the GM would spend a lot of time doing other people's jobs because it would be difficult to get a really competent staff.

I'm considering making this into a career and possibly starting my own dealership someday, and I just want to know what to expect in the long run.

What are the biggest issues you have to face on a daily basis?

How do you see the industry now, and where do you see it going in the next few years?

If you could go back in time and pick another business to get into, would you? If so, what would it be?

Also, on a semi-related note; are there any marketing experts/resources that you have had a lot of success with?

mark rask

My gm puts in a ton of hours.....so does the owner. They are great people to work for though.

Kabir Thapar

Tracking inventory is critical for an auto dealership and thus is a key function of Automotive dealer software. While monitoring when an automobile is acquired or sold is important for internal knowledge, the internet has made a tremendous impact by raising the demand to share inventory information with third parties. Car dealer inventory software must have the capacity to export data in a wide range of formats to the dealership's own website, automobile sales sites, and all of the classified ad sites on which the dealer would like to have a presence. Consequently, there are many car sales software features an auto dealer manager or owner needs to seek.

Featured Masters

No members found

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?
Add a Vendor  or  Add a Product