Get Newsletter Submit a Tip

Dealership Fire: Caught On Camera

July 28, 2017 1 Comment

We reported previously about a fire that caused major damage at a Detroit-area dealership. It turns out the events leading up to the blaze..were caught on camera!

As WXYZ reported, a recently released video has shed light on the fire that occurred at Buff Whelan Chevrolet Sterling Heights, Michigan. The previous version of the story as indicated by a CBS Detroit report pointed to the fire being accidentally started by a cleaning crew accidentally coming into contact with flammable chemicals while moping. However a new video by WXYZ shows a dealership janitor using a floor scrubber, knocking over a can of gas and incidentally causing the massive fire. The 911 call by the dealership janitor reportedly by spilled gas, however didn’t indicate that he knocked the gas can over and accidentally caused the blaze by running the scrubbing machine over the highly flammable fluid.


The massive dealership fire ending up being the largest in city history and destroyed between 20 and 30 vehicles at the store. CBS Detroit reported that smoke from the blaze could be seen from miles away.  What is your take on the incident and the decision on the part of the dealership to release the footage?

About the Author:

The DrivingSales News team is dedicated to breaking the relevant and the tough stories affecting car dealers. Have questions for DrivingSales News? Reach the team at news@drivingsales.com.

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Tania Hill says:

    Were you able to learn if the employee was ok, or if he came out with 2nd/3rd degree burns? Important part of the story, even if it was an accident.

Leave a Reply