Pick the VINs you need to move the most, we'll find the buyer most ready to buy. See how LotLinx VIN-specific campaigns increase ad effectiveness while reducing wasted ad spend. LEARN MORE
Selling cars to women takes a confident equipped sales person with a high level of communication skills, personal engagement and EQ. Women visit 30% more dealerships and may take a longer time in the shopping funnel than men. Patience is another key aspect to making a sale. Understanding when to stop pitching ideas and pull back is extremely important. Going overboard can be perceived as annoying or assertive an end up being a deal-breaker.
Surefire Signs of Overselling
Here are some signs of overselling. These show shoppers may be changing their minds and no longer interested. Paying attention to these can help your sales team pull back when they start overselling without realizing it.
1. Shopper becomes Distracted - When customers get busy with their phones while having a conversation with their salesperson, this is an indication that Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram are winning. It shows the potential buyer is losing interest and could leave soon if their interests or needs are not piqued.
2. Unease in Body Language - Body language, like averting eye contact and fidgeting, can be signs that are not hard to miss. These body movements show that customers are tired of listening to the pitch. They may believe their salesperson is trying to assert his/her personal opinion on them regardless of understanding what it is they want. This can cause frustration.
3. Moving Away From Salesperson - When women shoppers begin to move away, it shows the salesperson might have overdone it. This is the time to stop focusing on techniques and check in by asking them questions on their interest.
Did You Know?
One of the main reasons women go to more dealerships is NOT price. Rather, it’s because they want to get their buying experience “right”. If that initial engagement doesn’t go as well as they want, they will leave your dealership and go elsewhere. The sale and residual revenue have been lost forever. What’s the cost of your cumulative lost sales due to poor first engagement?
Tips to Avoid Overselling
1. Understanding what women buyers want and need is the key. Instead of pitching ideas right from the beginning, provide a space for women to express themselves. Ask questions and then ask some more. This is the best way to learn what their car buying needs are. It also provides a great opening to get related, so there is a connection; women buy when there is trust and respect provided. Listen to them first and then pitch ideas.
2. Friendly sales people are easier to talk to and women feel more comfortable around them. They find friendly salespersons more likeable. Our research shows that likeability is one of the top factors that help close a deal.