As digital marketing specialist email is probably the largest forms of communication that we use next to the phone. Getting black listed by an ISP may not just be from just over utilizing bulk email features, your message can be the culprit even if it is a personal one.
Email clients and web based email in-boxes have ways to designate a message as spam. If enough recipients designate you as a spammer the ISP's will assume every message sent from your domain or IP address is a spam and they will auto filter them as such.
Here is a short list of ways to not get you message deemed as spam by the recipients.
- Use Good Design and Format - Weak designs and improper format frustrates users. They can’t navigate your email easily or find the information they want. So, they opt out. Or, they delete you every time. Or, they hit the “Report Spam” button and hope that makes you go away. That’s why you test sample messages, to make sure they perform across many email programs and Web services.
- TURN THE CAPS LOCK KEY OFF - Many people leave the caps lock on in their daily activities. Probably from laziness or lack of knowing. Sending a message in ALL CAPS is the equivilent of Y-E-L-L-I-N-G
- Differentiate or Delete - Your email has to stand out in a crowded inbox. Put your company name in the “from” line for fast recognition. Add a “grabber” subject line. Design the top of your email to be preview pane and "disabled images" friendly. Use teaser text and HTML colors and layout rather than an image so readers can get an immediate "preview" of your email even if images are disabled. Finally, put the important content – the offer, the call to action, newsletter contents – up at the top for immediate viewing. You have just a couple of seconds to make your case, so don’t waste them.
- Give the recipient what they asked for - If you are actively working a customer do not include them in a broadcast email. Nothing say more to them that are dollar signs in the eyes of the dealership if they get the latest greatest sale announcement while involved in an email discussion with you. Not only may they mark you as a spammer you may lose them as a customer as well.
- Get Whitelisted - Encourage your subscribers to add your email address to their address book.
- Messages should have a high text to html ratio - Messages should not consist of large images with very little text.
Send a plain text version as well - Use the Multi MIME format by delivering messages in text and html then the recipients client choses which one to display. If you do not have this ability go text only
Give us some of your tips. The community will appreciate it.