Box Close? That is still a thing?

Derrick Woolfson

Who else does Box Closing? Where the sales consultant has the customer agree to the sale price, BUT not show them a payment? I am not a fan of this tactic at all. And while I understand and am cognizant of the fact that the finance manager is trying to use it as a means of being able to sell warranties, gap, etc. the customer still agreed to a price! So, that said, they are already fixed on that sale price period. 

Frankly, I think it's easier to have them agree to a payment - where at that junction the F&I manager can offer "for just $12 a month you can protect your vehicle. Giving you peace of mind during ownership. Do you want to protect your vehicle?" 

What do you do? If you do Box Closing - does it work for your store? 

Sounds pretty weak to me.

Derrick Woolfson

It def is!! It’s just a bad idea all the way around. I hope this doesn’t last long. 

Amanda Gordon

Kicking it old school! First, this tactic is illegal as you have to disclose all that information, payment, interest, term and money down. Second, as informed as this generation is you're simply wasting time by not providing the details on the first pencil. We prefer printouts with all of that nicely displayed and then we close them like real salespeople are supposed to!

BAM

Derrick Woolfson

@Amanda, right! Also, that's great they agreed to "price," BUT that is irrelevant if their payment is not where they wanted it. And while you can work with the customer (in some cases) to get to that payment - it often ends up w/ the customer blowing out of finance! I just do not get it. 

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

100%  Recommended Recom'd 3 Ratings
Company: Outsell
97%  Recommended Recom'd 40 Ratings
Company: TradePending
100%  Recommended Recom'd 23 Ratings
Company: AutoLoop
100%  Recommended Recom'd 12 Ratings
Company: CarGurus

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps