How do you train a new Sales Consultant?

Brandin Wilkinson

I recently talked with the President & CEO of one of the largest dealer groups in Canada and he shared with me "embarrassingly" that they don't have a real system in place for training new Sales Consultants outside of some online videos and a couple of days spent with their Sales Managers.  He admitted that they were making improvements on this issue.

Is this the norm or the exception?

We spend thousands on advertising to drive motivated buyers into the dealership, but only spend a couple of days and some online training for the Sales Consultants to look after these motivated buyers in a professional matter.  And expect them to get top-end results.

Do you consider training a priority with a new Sales Consultant?

Do you incorporate personal development into your training?

Do you or would you send your Sales Consultant to an outside of the industry seminar such as Tony Robbins UPW?

Do you have a guide for new commissioned Sales Consultants to use for writing off expenses?

Curious to know what the standard is for dealers to train new sales consultants.

Brandin Wilkinson

@Jake well said!

Chris Murray

We used the same company for over ten years and it was without a doubt the best thing we could have done. 

Brendan Dolan

I wrote a new hire training syllabus for our group, and the salesmen would have to be trained by a senior salesperson/mentor. They then would have to pass a test with a sales manager/GSM to make sure they're ready for customers.

Once they went through the one on one training, they'd do a lot of on the job training by being paired with their mentor.

When I was a sales manager and later GM I'd do daily ad hoc training with the bottom 1/3 of the sales team, two to three times a week with the middle third, and once a week or so for my top guys.

Once a week in my store I'd pick a topic that would benefit everyone, and do a quick 15 minute training session.

Any business survives on people and process. Have to train constantly to get them to do the process.

Chris Murray

Training by other salespeople is really like making a bad xerox! Think about it? How many salespeople actually have successful, scaleable techniques? Well at least you did something and that far exceeds the alternative!

Brandin Wilkinson

Good input Brendan!  I like the idea of having a mentor for the Sales Consultant.  Development is never-ending, rarely have I found an "expert" in any industry, although a lot claim to be.  

Suggested Discussions

forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

97%  Recommended Recom'd 35 Ratings
Company: Edmunds
0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
Company: Foureyes
98%  Recommended Recom'd 98 Ratings
Company: TradePending
100%  Recommended Recom'd 28 Ratings