What are your favorite questions to ask your employees during their monthly coaching, performance review, or scorecard session?

Jason Volny

Many managers dread the idea of having performance reviews with their employees on the regular basis. This is partly because they don't know what to talk about. Only focusing on performance metrics usually has a negative outcome, as well. What questions do you ask your employees during your conversation to promote engagement, growth, and performance development?

To start, this is one of my favorite questions. What can I do better as a manager to help you grow?

Morgan Hardy

I think it's a good idea to ask them what they like/dislike about their position. This gives the impression that their opinion does matter to you.

Jason Volny

@Morgan Ha! I like this, and I hope managers do listen to their employees. Employee management should be a two-way relationship. After all, a great leader must have great followers. 

Randi DeSantis

I always ask them outright if they still like their job or if they see themselves doing something else. The typical "Where do you want to be in 5 years"
I am also a stickler for cross training- so usually I ask them where they want to train next. 

Jason Volny

@Randi I love that. Assume the sale. Do you have a list of competencies for them to choose from? How does that usually flow? Also, how do you overcome the "what's in it for me" attitude? 

Bart Wilson

What about something existential like, "Why are you here?" We all work for a reason, and it's different for everyone.

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

100%  Recommended Recom'd 2 Ratings
100%  Recommended Recom'd 1 Ratings
0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
Company: Orbee Auto
100%  Recommended Recom'd 40 Ratings
Company: Elead

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?