How has the role of the "sales-manager" changed?

Derrick Woolfson

For those of us who worked in BDC's, I vividly remember most of the "sales-managers" sitting at the tower. Never walking around, or not engaged with the overall process. Have you seen a shift in their roles or "engagement" over the last few years? One trend I am starting to see is dealers having their sales managers actually sit on the floor. This way they are customer-facing, and tend to be more engaged with both the sales consultants and customers. 

Casimiro (Casey) Garza

Nothing has changed, they're still in the tower sitting down.  Personally a SM has to be someone that has earned his CIB(Combat Infantry Badge).  Hiring someone that has never sold and had F/I experience(CIB)  is a serious shortage.  Just listening them do a "Confirm the Appointment" call tells a lot.  I have seen no shift, and if anything going in the opposite direction.

Derrick Woolfson

@Casimiro, you bring a great point with "confirming the appointment." I cannot tell you how many times the sales manager actually wound up talking the customer out of coming in. o then say that "it was a fake appointment." Could have been "Credit concerns" / "lack of availability" etc. However, until the F&I manager reviews their credit app (if they had completed one) we do not know if they could have been financed, had a co-signer, etc. Seems like they still have a lot of work to do! 

Bart Wilson

@Casimiro, you kind of touched on it, but I'd like to identify what the community thinks is the role of a sales manager. What SHOULD this job role do?

Morgan Hardy

This job role should not put the blame on other departments. It's not often that you get manager's that all coincide. 

Chris K Leslie

Lets be honest the majority of Sales Managers are just deal writers. 

Suggested Discussions

forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?
Add a Vendor  or  Add a Product
  •  
  •  
  •