Rejection

Chris K Leslie

In our industry we have to deal with lots of rejection. How do you handle it?

Derrick Woolfson

@Chris, it was super hard at first, and something I took very personally. But - I quickly realized that for everyone that rejects me there is someone that will not. When you are rejected, too, there are things you learn. Perhaps a different way of handling the situation. 

Jason Stum

You mean besides curling up in the fetal position underneath my desk?

But seriously, I always liked the analogy that even the best baseball players only get 3 hits out of every 10 at-bats. Rejection isn't easy, but it's crucial for becoming better at what you do. Like @Derrick said, each rejection is an opportunity for you to learn and grow. So when you think about, rejection is a good thing ;)

Tori Zinger

Agree on all counts. It was hard for me at first; like most of us in this industry, I'm used to being a "high achiever" -- but like Jason said, no one wins every single time. The key for me was learning how not to take it personally or as a failure of my skills, but still learning by looking at the situation objectively to see what I could have done better, and then moving on to the next opportunity.

Rafael Pabon

I also believe the most important thing to remember is that we are generally not being rejected personally. The customer is rejecting the deal, whether it is because of structure, or the wrong vehicle or product, or perhaps it is beyond their financial reach.  Unless you have truly done something wrong, they are generally not rejecting you personally.

Tori Zinger

Yes, such a good point, Rafael, but so hard to remember sometimes!

Suggested Discussions

Britta  Apfel
by Britta Apfel
Last reply by Drew Bettiol
forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

Outsourced BDC Services Products

99%  Recommended Recom'd 272 Ratings
Company: Elead
100%  Recommended Recom'd 6 Ratings
100%  Recommended Recom'd 4 Ratings