Think nobody wants to work hard these days?

Aaron Evans

Think nobody wants to work hard these days? Perhaps they just don't want to work for you or your dealership. 

This quote I read got me thinking:

"Frustrated by your inability to manage Millennials? Start here: They don’t need your job. It has never been easier to work for yourself or any one of a thousand other companies, no matter where you live." (Brett Cenkus, Medium)

The current job market lends the advantage to the employees rather than the employers. With that said, what can dealerships do to combat this and get employees to want to work for them long-term? Thoughts? 

Derrick Woolfson

@Aaron, I think regardless of whether you are hiring a millennial or not - the bigger issue at hand (for dealers) is the fact that many are still managing like it is 1985. Where the benefits do not outweigh the hours worked. Therefore, you lose interest which creates the turnover. That said, when you average the hours worked + commission they could easily make that (depending on units sold and pay plan) working a Monday - Friday job. Working a couple side gigs, and have better health care, time off, holidays off, etc. There are dealerships, however, that have created a much better work/life balance and successfully retain "millennial" employees. 

Sean Kelley

Look, Derrick is right, dealers need to upgrade the way they lead their people, no different than you upgrade a computer, or the software you use to appraise a car.

There are many great managers in the industry, most of the time they just don't know what they don't know.

Overall, managers at dealers across the country lead with blind obedience. They tell salespeople who are of different generations, demographics and education levels exactly what to say and how to say it. Then wonder why they wont say it. 

Managers struggle to hold people accountable, and as a result yell at people out of frustration, creating cultures where people will not approach the manager with open communication.

The managers solve all the problems for their people, resulting in them being a crutch and being forced to handle low level complaints and issues. Ultimately robbing their people of their ability to solve problems, create autonomy and free the managers up for important strategic activities such as forecasting, coaching, training, on-boarding...etc. 

At the end of the day, all these things can be resolved. Not trying to plug myself here, but this is far to complicated too explain the entire thing in a forum post... but am happy to walk you through the solution if you message me.

#thecarbizcoach

#coachingexcellence

#winningcultures

Chris K Leslie

I look around and see people who want to do good and be good employees. They just dont know what good looks like or what the path to get better is. 

Its not a training on how to use the phone better issue its a structure issue. 

Chris K.

For many, the problem is that YOU are better than many of your managers. And they know it, but that is why you should polish up your resume and TAKE THEIR JOBS.

R. J. James

Aaron... THANKS for starting this interesting dialog.  Everyone has chimed in with good points and I strongly agree with Derrick's summation that dealerships are still managing like it's 1985.  

Suggested Discussions

forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

Outsourced BDC Services Products

0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
Company: Elead

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?