Data - Who has the best "in-market" data?

Helen Moss

I get so many pitches about data-driven marketing. Every vendor and (knowledgeable) dealer agrees that if your data sucks so will the campaign... So how does one know what data is "good" for my dealership?

Is Polk data "stale" like many claim, because it takes 6 months to know if it is any good (and even they say it's 50% reliable)? Is Facebook or Google or Bing strong enough for targeting? What about  data from Oracle, Experian, or Equifax data?

Anyone have insights on vetting solid in-market data for marketing?

I look forward to your ideas and feedback! 

Derrick Woolfson

I am always leery of purchasing *data* and would rather spend more money in AdWords or PPC to get traffic to my site, in which case I can then retarget them. We have purchased lists for thousands of dollars, and are then unable to email them or have gotten a very little return on it. If anything, I would even rather do a mailer than purchase another data list. 

David Lemmon

Facebook's "in market shopper" data seems pretty solid. The key is, in my opinion, assume all claims of "in market shoppers" are suspect. Its a great starting point, but then you should further filter that data to build it into a look alike of your own customers. That way, worst case, you're at least communicating with people in your DMA who are demographically identical to your customer base...and eventually, they'll all be in market.

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

100%  Recommended Recom'd 3 Ratings
Company: Outsell
97%  Recommended Recom'd 41 Ratings
Company: TradePending
100%  Recommended Recom'd 25 Ratings
Company: AutoLoop
100%  Recommended Recom'd 12 Ratings
Company: CarGurus

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps