Marketing compliance

Bart Wilson

Let's have a frank discussion about OEM compliance.  How do you make sure you stay compliant?  Do you find your vendors help or hurt this effort?  Would you generate more leads and traffic if compliance didn't exist?

Martins Ville

Hey Bart, how about starting some threads teaching people how to close sales?? That's what this is all about right??

Martins Ville

I think we best around the bush to much here on DS.  there's a bunch of sales managers around the country that are BS in their sales people that they're getting the best information about how to close the sale and I'm not sure if that's really the case. the number one reason sell people leave this business because they don't make enough money. And you don't make enough money because you don't close enough sales. I've almost really heard any DS main people ever try to conquer the sales closing techniques side of the business. it would be great if you guys could concentrate on that a little bit more than all this other fluffy stuff.

Drew Bettiol

Bart, I feel it is difficult with GM because it's always an either or situation. You either get $11,000 off of this truck or you get 0% for 72 months and customers think that you get both but you have to be careful with your disclaimers and verbiage. One of the big things we have to do is say Up to XXX off on this model. It's all just messy. You basically have an even playing field amongst competition. Basically it's who is going to spend the most on advertising is going to win. There is really nothing that makes one dealer more special than the other.

Bart Wilson

@Martins, I agree that closing the sale is important.  I'm asking, however, on if the restrictions the OEM places on dealership marketing have a negative impact on the ability for marketing managers to drive traffic to their dealerships.  Is there any differentiation between dealership A and store B?  If marketers are held to a standard that doesn't allow for any deviation, then there is a race to the bottom (as Drew just mentioned).

How difficult is it for your stores to market in this environment?

[on another note, I agree we need more sales process content.  Let's get it started now]

Bryant Gibby

Good insight @ Brody... I ran a Honda dealership in Washington for a few years and had similar hoops we had to jump through to remain compliant. The thing that irritated to me is that it seemed that not all of our competitors had to play by the same rules. I felt like that is was more of a suggestion than a requirement and there wasn't any real accountability for the dealers. 

I constantly found dealers that were outside of compliance and it puts the compliant dealers in an interesting dilemma. My instinct was to report them so we were all playing by the same rules but I didn't want to be "that guy". We also had a price match guarantee at our store so we didn't lose any deals to price. It always sucked when I had to price match a deal for someone in my DMA because they found a crazy, non-compliant advertised price on the other side of the state :(

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
Company: Edmunds
Company: Foureyes
Company: CarGurus
Company: TradePending

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps