Carvana Acquires Carlypso

Tori Zinger

Dave Martinson reported this week on DrivingSales News that Carvana has acquired Carlypso. I've been discussing the Carvana business structure with some others in the industry this week, and I'm curious to know:

What is your take on this model? Will it stick? I'd also be interested to know your age range when you give your opinion; it seems (unsurprisingly) that those in the younger age rages seem to be more on board with this than those in the upper age ranges, as far as whether they would be willing to purchase a car using this format. 

Dealer Guy

eBay actually started this type of sale online and is still the king of used car e-commerce. Used cars are especially unique and all drive different. I cannot imagine buying a used car sight unseen, never tested by myself to see what squeaks, if the wheel shimmies, if there are scratches I didn't know about, and so many other unknowns. The price point will have to be very convincing, but I also have seen where 3rd party sites are charging customers outrageous costs for extras like GAP,  Extended Warranties, Paint & Fabric Protection, etc.

The consumer might save on the cost, but they will end up paying more on the rate, and ancillaries. As a consumer, that does not equate to a great deal. And although I work at a car dealership, I am also a consumer - first.

Tori Zinger

That's a great point, Dealer Guy -- it's important for people thinking about using a place like this to consider ALL the costs, not just the price of the vehicle. And as for used cars, there's no way I'd buy it without driving it first!

Featured Masters

No members found

Miscellaneous Products

100%  Recommended Recom'd 1 Ratings
Company: DealerSocket
100%  Recommended Recom'd 1 Ratings
0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?
Add a Vendor  or  Add a Product