Playing Favorites

Morgan Hardy

Have you run into issues where management seems to be playing favorites? Is this common and/or acceptable?

Jason Volny

@Morgan - Like a parent, a manager should not treat their employees differently. However, they are not our children, and sometimes, we just like some people better than others. It's natural and it's ok. With that said, if you want team unity, you must treat everything like a process or a policy. I agree with @Bart, everyone needs to know the policy and it must be managed. In the end, no matter how good your policy or process is, someone will always feel left out. To avoid that as much as you can, be consistent. If you are consistent, after a while, employees will manage it themselves and you won't be the "bad manager that only cares about his friends". 

Chris K Leslie

You will always see people play favorites but at the end of the day those favorites need to produce.

Morgan Hardy

@Chris - I agree but I've seen situations where management makes sure they produce

Morgan Hardy

@Jason- you're right! As someone said to me today "You can't make everyone happy."

Derrick Woolfson

Not sure how I missed this post, but this is a *huge* issue. In my experience, the "sales consultants" the managers favored always got the extra deals (deals that were buttoned up before the customer even got to the dealership). What happened, in most of these cases, was that it created a monster. The management teams usually wound up spending more time managing the "favorite" then working with the other sales consultants to help them sell more cars. This led to a lot of turnover, which meant more time was spent on going back to square one than moving ahead. Any success should be on their own merit. 

Featured Masters

No members found

Miscellaneous Products

0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
Company: eSecuritytogo
Company: Nextup

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?