What Are 5 Skills You Look for When Hiring A Sales Consultant?

Derrick Woolfson

It is no secret that our industry struggles in the hiring of sales consultants. That said, what are some of the skills you look for when hiring a sales consultant? 

Sherri Riggs

I talked with Matt Weinberg from Drive Motors about this, he says he looks for the "5 C's" and gives them a test.

Let's just say... if he were to interview me... i'd be a little nervous!

Mark Rask

I look for communication skills 

Derrick Woolfson

@Sherri, I think in theory that it is great. But the interviewer can be just as bad as the interviewee. Where if he is so caught up in what he perceives to be his 5 "C's" it can be a huge distraction (which is what I think he wants?), but frankly unnecessary and bizarre. When I interview someone, I often ask them about a project they have worked on - or how they have built sales or how they handle objections. Often finding that those who are great have a very good way of explaining their experience without blaming others, but offering what they have learned. 

Jason Volny

When I interview I of course look at their skills, but I really like to pay attention to their body language. If they slouching or leaning back in the chair, it takes away from whatever skills they may or may not have!

Amanda Gordon

I don't know that I have 5 but I am a little unconventional. I like to meet off site on neutral ground. Ask life questions and watch eye contact, body language and consistency in answering questions. I also like to do a half day "day in the life," I can tell within a hour if they're a good fit or not. 

Featured Masters

No members found

Miscellaneous Products

0%  Recommended Recom'd 0 Ratings
Company: DEALERWARE
84%  Recommended Recom'd 145 Ratings
Company: CDK Global
95%  Recommended Recom'd 22 Ratings
Company: CDK Global
100%  Recommended Recom'd 4 Ratings

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product