Out Sourcing BDC

Meghan Sonnier

Hi,

We are a used car dealership and looking into outsourcing our BDC department. Do you have any companies you'd recommend us using? I'd also like to know more about what works for your dealership. Would the outsourced company also handle incoming lead calls? Are they paid based off of performance?  

Derrick Woolfson

Meghan, just curious - how many used cars do you sell a month? And do you currently have a BDC? While we were building the BDC team (at my last group) we outsourced the BDC. It was the worst mistake I ever made. The cost was a flat rate monthly, which seemed economical, but the quality was poor. For example, the BDC Agents do not know your dealership, inventory, sales processes, or dealership rules. That caused a lot of issues. This was especially true if they booked an appointment and did not confirm the vehicle was still there. As for the phone calls, they did start out by managing them. And as soon as we did that the "connect" rate dropped as much as 20%. That and customers gave up on hold. Given that the customer had to select multiple options to then get transferred back to the dealership - to then be placed on hold. Depending on how many sales consultants you have paired with how many sales you do a month you could most likely get away with having one in house person. Or working with your sales consultants to handle the leads. 

Meghan Sonnier

Derrick,

We currently have a BDC department with Two girls who work our leads. The problem we are having is that we are having is that they are not communicating effectively, and we are not seeing results. Our appointments have dropped significantly and in turn so has the number of vehicles sold.  

Derrick Woolfson

Got it, I have been in your shoes in dealing with that. It came down to the way the pay plan was setup. They did not want to work together because it "affected" their pay. At any rate, if you able to work with them regarding set rate, show rate, & sold rate, I would work with that. But if that is not an option, I would rather work with the sales consultants before out sourcing the BDC. 

Mark Rask

We have never outsourced ours but we do put a lot of emphasis on it 

Mark @ Autobahn Academy

Outsourcing your BDC can be a temporary thing while you fix your internal process. I understand your issue with communication. That's because 1) your payplan probably does not incentivize teamwork or 2) you do not have the right people / mindset in place. 

If it can help you, we have set a gamification system gor our own Virtual BDC service. Internally, we pay our people based on points earned through phone calls, emails, % of many sorts, appointments, etc.

We tally the numbers and call it a CSA Rating.

Every action has a predetermined value and bonuses are based on those results.

With over 60 agents, I can tell you it has solved a lof of micro management for us. 

If you need more info, send me a PM, I'll be happy to help. 

Featured Masters

No members found

New Car Leads Products

89%  Recommended Recom'd 76 Ratings
95%  Recommended Recom'd 479 Ratings
Company: CarGurus
100%  Recommended Recom'd 31 Ratings
Company: AutoLoop

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps

Select a Vendor & Product
Can’t find what you're looking for?
Add a Vendor  or  Add a Product