How long has it been on your lot?

Brandon Brletich

I get this question from time to time, usually on pre-owned cars. It's not a huge objection to overcome, so it doesn't get a lot of coverage like some of the other objections we face. I'm curious why customers feel the need to know that piece of information. If a used car has been on a lot for two months, maybe there's something wrong with it? If the dealership has had it too long, they'll be more eager to make a deal?

Normally, I'll just deflect and play dumb, or give a non-answer like "Not too long at all". What are some things you say to overcome or get around a customer asking how long you've had a particular vehicle? Do any stores ever actually tell a customer how many days it's been in their inventory?

Tim Nester

I would advise to be honest. Time on the shelf is not something to be evasive over. Besides most third-Party website vendors show the consumer the time on site. They may just be using that a temperature gauge for the transaction.... Does he/she know the answer?? Is this person a fact teller or just winging it and hoping to get paid at the end of my visit. 

Too much at stake to BS your way through it.. in my opinion

Sherri Riggs

I can see both sides! But I always like to err on the side of caution, and be honest with a potential customer.

Amanda Gordon

Transparency is key as Tom said 3rd party sites clearly post a vehicle's age in inventory as well as any price drops. I would know aged inventory and get a feel for why they are still there. For instance I currently have a GORGEOUS 2014 low mile Wrangler in my inventory that will not move for two reasons 1. manual transmission 2. soft top. Knowing is half the battle.

Chris K.

Well I've been doing this long enough to know the answer: The price was too high. That's why it sat. However I tell people - there's a butt for every seat, come on and hop on inside, let's see how you feel inside this one.

Tim Nester

Chris. I agree that in some scenarios that aged inventory can be based on a price point.  With that being said, the reason a vehicle does not sell in the text book 60 day expectation is not limited to price. the method and quality of merchandising has a larger affect. This topic is more about handling the question of time on the lot. This can be a set up to a price objection or at the very least a tactic to gain leverage for negotiations. This is were conviction in your response and proper training succeed.  As an industry we created the shelf life concern and now we need to react to it, It is simply supply and demand, we need to be sure our product stands tall especially if its on the "aged list" and acknowledge the concern and move to a real explanation with value building sales approach. 

The price is never too high .. the value is too low.

Suggested Discussions

forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

Used Car Advertising Products

95%  Recommended Recom'd 1250 Ratings
Company: CarGurus
95%  Recommended Recom'd 536 Ratings
100%  Recommended Recom'd 76 Ratings
Company: Edmunds
86%  Recommended Recom'd 45 Ratings

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps