Why do we need to defeat Cargurus?

Woody CB

Cargurus’s “deal grade” system is deeply flawed and interruptive in the wrong direction. They are aggressively pushing to the top as the most visited site for used car marketing. Most of the consumers started to rely on their “Great deal”, “Good deal”, “Fair deal”, and “Overpriced” to make their decisions on which cars to buy.

Used cars have so many variables to consider when comparing two similar cars. Cargurus only calculate the year, model, features, mileage, and then determine and compare prices. We all know used cars’ conditions are hugely different depends on the habits of the owners, how the cars were used, where the cars were used, body conditions, tire conditions, mechanical conditions, and etc….  Only use a few parameters to declare a good deal or bad deal is misleading, to say the least.

Also in order to adapt to more and more shoppers who are not going into dealerships to look at the cars first, and then make buying decisions. By only looking online and complete the whole purchase process, we the dealers have to correct this misleading practice. Otherwise, the consumers won’t be able to make informed decisions and separate real good used cars from the ones only look good on paper. We the good dealers won’t be rewarded with extra effort we make to provide customers with the highest quality used cars. The whole industry will suffer.

But Cargurus is the traffic leader for car searching, and can a dealer afford not to use their service? Can dealers force this giant to change? The answer is Yes, but it will take some time. More dealers work on this and faster they will change.

Lastly, we need to take back control of leads generation. We will not be forced to pay skyrocketing cost of services from Cargurus, Cars, Autotrader, Carfax, and etc…

How to defeat Cargurus?

All we need to do 2 things. I can’t talk about that here in public.

Interested? Let’s talk: woody99333@gmail.com

Mark Rask

this is so true 

Sam Salem

Honestly whether it's cargur's, kbb, truecar, and even MMR they're all utilizing virtually the same data to compile their metrics.  The "Good/Great" deal designation is carguru's way of saying fair/good condition, or "2.5-3.5" if we were comparing to MMR. 

Ultimately you need to understand the entire industry has shifted. The time you're investing in creating that "Great" car for your consumer, needs to be turned into more time finding near to damn near perfect cars that have a low market day supply. 

If carguru's is what my customers are using to find their cars, you can bet your ass I'm going to make sure the price of my car falls right between good and a great deal. Shift your buying tactics, the internet's just as much our friend as it is the consumers,.

Kevin Kulma

Great point but sadly too little too late.  Cargurus has taken 10+ years building authority for high value searched terms.   As a publicly traded company, they have no responsibility to "you" the customer and only shareholder.  If you are unhappy now, your only course of action is truly to drop them as a vendor and not look back.   Their pricing will continue to rise as shareholders push for more growth.   

Sam Salem

I understand the Golden Arrow of being a car dealers over to an extent. But don't you think having the ability to tell exactly what a car will sell for and when it will sell is a fair trade-off for slightly larger margins. It may sound like I'm siding with CarGurus I'm not as a buyer I was infuriated when I saw what they depicted private party value as in relation to market value. That being said I found value in it through another tactic. You just have to know how to spin what the consumers are using oh, there is such a thing as too much information as we all know. And this case there's a lot of information out there with very little education, as well as the fact that overconfidence can be exploited just as easy as no confidence

Suzanne  Laine

I sent you an email.  Curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Suggested Discussions

forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

Used Car Advertising Products

94%  Recommended Recom'd 1080 Ratings
Company: CarGurus
94%  Recommended Recom'd 414 Ratings
100%  Recommended Recom'd 66 Ratings
Company: Edmunds
96%  Recommended Recom'd 51 Ratings
Company: Edmunds