Find out why over 1,200 dealers have already made the switch to Auto/Mate and experience the DMS that does business differently. LEARN MORE
In only 60 days I have experienced the answer, the key, the missing link in so many places of business. I have learned that you cannot run a business without this. I have determined that this well-known fact is highly underrated, carelessly labelled and not practiced PROPERLY enough of the time. Leadership.
For the past two months I have been honoured to be working very closely to a man that has been a VP and CEO of the 2 biggest retail chains in Canada. With over 30 years of customer service retail experience, Mr. Paul Walters is now diving head first into the best darn business in the entire world. Car Sales :D *ding*
We often hear how different automotive is to any other retail environment. Paul has made it very obvious that it's not, he says “if you apply some simple concepts the ball will roll” just as it did when he brought Sears Canada from 3.9B to 6.7B in under 5 years in a flat market.
I don't like writing novels when I blog and I’m sure you don't care to read them, so I will keep this brief and give you the 5 most memorable things I have learned from Mr. Walters in the first 60 days of working together... Of course, regarding the #1 most important aspect in any business: LEADERSHIP!
1. "First we need to get everyone in the boat, then everyone has to paddle in the right direction. Getting everyone in the boat is sometimes the hardest part, but after that, the rest is easy"
The next 4 points will depict the ways Paul managed to get everyone in the boat in 30 Days.
2. "Communicate deep into the organization. The more people know, the better their decisions"
Paul manages to get his message across to every employee in the company. No hiding anything. Everyone has an accountable number that they own. Together the team works to reach their number, every day, every week, every month. If the leader were to hide numbers or dealership on goings, how could you hold anyone accountable?
3. "Nothing else can substitute for a few, well chosen, well timed sincere words of praise. They are absolutely free.....and worth a fortune".
Recognition builds conﬁdence and self-esteem. Paul recognizes the cleaners, lot workers through to the GSM's. He takes the time, and it works!
4. "Trust the judgement of your people... They know what to do..."
That’s all. Or why are they working there? My opinion...
5. "Enthusiasm and passion will overcome almost every one of your short comings. The only way to do GREAT work is to love what you do!"
We all have to come to work every day... why not make it fun? Paul takes away any road blocks and allows his employees to run free. Just make sure it's profitable :) That's what I call fun.
If you are a leader I would love to hear what you do to provide LEADERSHIP to your team? We could all learn from it. The world needs more leaders like Paul!