I am challenged to limit my own opinions of our present administration in crafting this post, however, I will do my best to pose my question in a non-partisan manner since my goal is to surface solutions for my auto dealer and vendor clients who have turned to me for advice on how they can best protect their investments in a "CHANGING" auto industry and the country we operate in. To that end, I will limit my question to a list of questions regarding existing actions that our administration has already taken which I believe will/have forever changed our beloved auto industry - and country - with the hopes that some of my respected associates on DrivingSales.Com will come to a different conclusion than I have; since my conclusions are admittedly very concerning!
Please reply with your answer to the following questions and I will do my best to not direct your answers in the ways that I present them - although that won't be easy!
1) Do you believe that the Constitution and the order of law was ignored when the administration and the Car Czar directed the distribution of the assets of General Motors and Chrysler to be transferred from the priority interests of the secured bond holders in favor of the Unions and the Government during their Bankruptcy reorginazation?
2) Do you believe that the arbitrary assignment of profitable GM and Chrysler Dealership Franchises to selected competitors in specific markets without any recourse for the closed dealerships or consideration of existing contract obligations or State regulations was legal and/or moral as it was applied?
3) Do you believe that it would be reasonable for legislation to be passed that would prioritize the establishment of Unions in retail operations - like auto dealerships - without the ability of employees to have a private vote, (As proposed in Card Check) or for employers to have reasonable notice and time to challenge even a private vote to Unionize, (As in Card Check's replacement - Fast Track) ?
4) Do you believe that it is acceptable in today's economy to Nationalize our debt - basically buy US Treasury Notes from ourselves by having one Government Agency sell it to another to artificially stabalize the Interest rates - given the proven historical impact of it creating a "hyper inflationary" state that will devaluate the American Dollar in the world economy?
5) Do you believe that "Cap And Trade,(Tax)" legislation will impact the world's TOTAL carbon emmissions sufficiently enough to justify forcing gas and utility costs to "skyrocket" - to quote our President - with the anticipated effect of raising the costs of goods and services across multiple industries forcing a large portion of our already limited industries to avoid the proposed taxes by taking their operations to other countries that have adamantly stated that they will not participate in Cap And Trade - like China, India or even Mexico?
6) Are you concerened that our new Green Czar is a self described Communist - his description of himself, not mine - with the stated position that the purpose of "Green Jobs" is to redistribute the wealth of this country to those minorities that "the white man" has taken them from? Please note again that those are his words - NOT MINE - and I am neither a Republican, a Democrat or more specifically, a racist - just a "Car Guy!"
7) Do you believe that the Constitution is and should be the law of the land in all Domestic Issues, and if so, are you concerned by the fact that the administration has appointed Harld Koh as our International Attorney to represent the United States in all International matters even though he is a self described "Transnational" who believes that International Law should supercede our Constitution even in Domestic Issues?
8) Are you concerened that our new "Diversity Czar" has stated that he believes that Chavez lead a "democratic revolution" in Venezuela that we should learn from by taxing private radio and TV stations 100% of their operating costs to either force them out of business, remove their FCC Licenses or use their funds to develop "public" stations to promote the "collective's" interests?
Simply put - do you believe that any of the issues being proposed by our administration are in any way Marxist, Facist or Communist in their nature - and if not, PLEASE explain to me how these actions fit within the Republican Democracy and entrepreneurial Capatalistic society that prompted me to be a "car guy" to benefit from the individual fruits of my labor vs. having government define or limit my options.
More specifically to this post - what can/should we do about the recent "CHANGE" promised by our administration to protect our investments and our established way of life? I would really appreciate your insights and contrary thoughts on these issues so I can better advise my clients as to how they should proceed to mature their businesses. After all, what are friends for!