Consumers are drowning with information online in their car buying journey. Learn what’s distracting your visitors, how to engage them and proven tactics to keep their attention. Download Storyboard
I was doing some research earlier this week on search engine ranking methodologies and came across a recent patent that was granted to Google this month. The patent was titled "system and method for modulating search relevancy using pointer activity monitoring". While I don't believe cursor movement would ever be a factor in rankings for obvious reasons, I do believe the search engine wars are continuing to heat up.
Yes, Google still holds a commanding lead but the question is will it last forever. Better yet, is the lead enough to ignore other search engines? Bing and Yahoo have experienced impressive gains over the last year and I would not be surprised to see this continue. Additionally, I firmly believe that no company, no matter how large, is unstoppable. Take a look at Apple for example. Everyone thought they were headed for the scrap pile in the 90s and now look at them.
Most dealers we talk to at TK only care about how we do on Google. When we try and demonstrate our power on Yahoo and Bing, there is simply no interest whatsoever. While I do understand the big focus on Google, I don't understand why people could care less about Yahoo and Bing. I believe if you are betting it all on Google and ignoring the rest, you might want to think twice. They are the leader by a long shot but they still only control 63% of the market. That leaves 37% to Yahoo, Bing and the rest (yes, I can still do simple math). If you want to maximize your effort in Automotive SEO, you should focus on the big three search engines. 37% is a huge number when competition is so fierce among dealers.