Notifications & Messages

Jared Hamilton
From: Jared Hamilton
Hey - It’s time to join the thousands of other dealer professionals on DrivingSales. Create an account so you can get full access to the articles, discussions and people that are shaping the future of the automotive industry.
×
Bart Wilson

Bart Wilson Director of Operations, Media

Exclusive Blog Posts

Don't Forget About Your Managers.

Don't Forget About Your Managers.

When we are hit with an unprecedented situation - out of left field - it can easily derail your dealer's efforts. Sustaining everything you have worked…

How to Make Your Social More than Click | KPI Cafe Season 5 Episode 7

How to Make Your Social More than Click | KPI Cafe Season 5 Episode 7

Continuing our series on budgeting, CEO Dave Spannhake and Host Dane Saville dive into the setup of and best practices for your dealership's paid socia…

MDP 048 | TikTok, Like a Savage!

MDP 048 | TikTok, Like a Savage!

#tiktok #savage #GaryV #VDP Design #ROIofYourMother Join David & David talking about TikTok for your dealership, 12 Hour Live Stream from Gary Vaynerch…

WEBINAR RECORDING - Build Your Dealership's Budget for COVID-19 and Beyond

WEBINAR RECORDING - Build Your Dealership's Budget for COVID-19 and Beyond

We had a great discussion with Dane Saville and Dave Spannhake from Reunion Marketing. They laid out a roadmap for optimizing your dealersh…

What Joblessness Means for Service Departments

What Joblessness Means for Service Departments

We’re at the end of May 2020, and the jobless rate in the United States has just surpassed 40 million, or 14.7%. That’s the highest it has …

How to win the BIG Pot of Money in Today’s New Car Game

This is a guest post from Brian Finkelmeyer, Senior Director of Business Development of vAuto.  He'll be speaking at the 2018 DrivingSales Executive Summit on Winning the Zero Sum Game in New Cars.

Today’s retail new car business is beginning to look more like a game of poker than the actual car business.

In 2016, Automotive News reported that the collective annual sales objectives for every manufacture in the US was 21M, but the actual SAAR was only 17.5M.  I once heard the annual sales objective-setting process referred to as “smoking the drapes” inside the corporate office.

I don’t entirely blame the car companies; their job is to impress shareholders by growing market share. They accomplish this by enticing their Dealer body to stretch for higher and higher sales volumes.

The problem is, often these objectives are calculated in a financial fantasy world and not based on the realities of the marketplace.

Over the last five years, New Car Dealers have become increasingly reliant upon manufactures for their financial success.  According to NADA this year, 90 percent of the income captured in the Net Adds account on a Dealer’s financial statement is factory bonus money.  To win this pot of gold, Dealers have no choice but to literally “go for broke” to achieve their aggressive monthly sales targets.

Polk data highlights that on average, approximately 40 percent of a Dealer’s monthly sales comes from their owner base, which means the other 60 percent is generated with conquest sales. 

In my workshop at the DrivingSales Executive Summit, Dealers will learn key conquesting tactics for attracting customers from outside their local market area.  A Dealer’s ability to effectively conquest will have a very strong correlation to the number of “Pots and Size of the Pots” they win.  This will remain true, as long as the new car game is being played out like the World Series of Poker.

 

 Unlock all of the community & features  Join Now